Sunday, April 23, 2017

Week 15 Prompt

What do you think are the best ways to market for your library's fiction collection? Name and describe three ways you do or would like to market your library or your future library's fiction. These can be tools, programs, displays - anything that you see as getting the word out.

1. My first idea is to showcase library staff's picks of fiction books. I would set up a display near the fiction books, and have the staff pick out one of their personal favorite fiction books to put on the display. I would also have the staff write their own short summaries for those books. I would have them put their names by their staff pick as well.

2. My second idea is to have a 'fiction movie night'. Have a viewing of a fictional movie, like Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. Related to that movie, I would display fictional books about space travel and provide those to the attendees of the movie night to turn them on to books relating to the subject. A book related to space travel that I have read on my own is called Coyote by Allen Steele.

3. My third idea would be to take to social media. I (along would with library staff) would create an Instagram or Twitter page, and I would encourage the staff to post their current reads on either platform. I would also encourage the staff to write little summaries about their current reads, as well as write about the ways the book can be read (iPad, Kindle, audiobook). For those who like to read on the go, there are many options to still experience the book. Many people (millennials and older, or younger) are all about social media, or just being on their phones in general.

3 comments:

  1. I'm an assistant librarian in the children's department of my library and, while it's not adult fiction, we do have a staff recommends display and those are some of the most checked out books in our collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great prompt response! You've got some innovative ideas that can definitely help! Full points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of the movie night! I always want to see the film version after I read a book (when there is one). I think that could be a popular option. I wrote about staff suggestions too, and it reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the staff video picks. :)

    ReplyDelete