Sunday, April 9, 2017

Week 13 Prompt

As librarians, we should encourage our adult patrons to read whatever material that appeals to them. I feel like the discouragement of certain titles or genres only hurts us and our patrons, and limits their reading. Not only should librarians encourage adult patrons to read what they like, we should also encourage to read materials that are out of their comfort zone, so they can narrow down or broaden their likings (young adult, fantasy, graphic novels, or even children's books). In alignment with the ALA website, librarians must promote intellectual freedom for patrons to read, write, discover, any and all types of material. 

"ALA actively advocates and educates in defense of intellectual freedom - the rights of library users to read, seek information, and speak freely as guaranteed by the First Amendment. Intellectual freedom is a core value of the library profession, and a basic right in our democratic society. A publicly supported library provides free, equitable, and confidential access to information for all of its community."

Librarians (as well as baby librarians like myself and my classmates) are always coming up with ways to promote reading and ways to better serve patrons that enjoy young adult novels or graphic novels. The local public library in my town has books on display in the main lobby that cater to those who love young adult books, and there is a display in the Teen Space as well, for not only young adult lit but graphic novels, too. In my own topic paper for this course, I referenced my own LibGuide that has fictional and non-fiction books that are targeted for young adults, but adults are still welcome to use the information as well. I remember feeling embarrassed myself because YA novels are my favorite genre, and a majority of my own leisure reading is in this genre. I personally would not want to be discouraged from reading this genre or any genre of my liking. 

References:

ALA. (2017). Intellectual freedom: Issues and resources. Retrieved from: http://www.ala.org/advocacy/intfreedom

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtful, insightful prompt response. I couldn't agree more! Full points!

    ReplyDelete